Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Telegram


















The brilliant Professor Fugate shrunk us for his own purposes.  Of which I don't even suppose to guess.

He wanted to make dolls out of us!
3 men, 3 women, all shrunk down by an atomic ray deviously operated by that seemingly sweet old man, the Professor.  Oh well you know the story.

So Mike? He's dead?  Well beat that.

Yes, I laid right next to him in the suitcase everytime the Profesor took us to the theater.  Those outings were called "picnics" and usually involved the 6 of us sitting on a doll blanket on the stage while the Professor forced us to interact with his real puppets in an Ibsen or Chekov drama.
Once Mike and I played Hedda and Lovborg.  My husband was played by a hairy wolf puppet.

You never heard that one?

So yeah. Mike.....I heard that right after we got put back he started hitting the bottle pretty hard.
 Is that what happened to him?

Cause in those days I was partnered with Rick and Mike was with Daphne.  The Professor liked things neat and tidy.  But I was secretly in mad lust with Mike.  I always hoped we would, I don't know,  sneak behind the coldcream bathtub and make love.  It never happened.  There was always the Professor. Always watching,  playing records and snapping his fingers and of course, writing in his dang notebook.

Are you going to to tell me what happened to him?!

So yeah, I keep going off on tangents don't I.  The injections the Professor gave us sometimes makes me.........................................................................................................................................Yes, still.

No one much comes around to ask me about those days anymore.  Right after it was all over, you couldn't keep the crowds of reporters away! Rick and I posed for Lady's Home Journal and Model Makers.  Reader's Digest did a wonderful story on Daphne.  Mike just....kept a low profile, he never seemed to want to really celebrate our liberation.  Now that I think of it, that must of been when he first started drinking again.  Hmmm.

But, gosh I'm sorry to hear about that.  Real sorry.  Don't tell me what really happened.  Don't.  I don't want to know.  I always thought that maybe someday.... So I can keep my image of him perfect in my mind.  Lying on the canopy bed braiding that rug.  Coming down the stairs toward me, looking in my eyes.

We lived in that dollhouse together, and yes it was a dollhouse, for 6 months.  It was years ago.
 Seems like yesterday.











****************




Thank you PSYCHOTRONIC 16 for showing Attack of the Puppet People, on which this was based.

No comments:

Post a Comment