Monday, March 7, 2011

Lola's Lament

Come on up, you're a regular right?



You're here to see Lola? Oh...
Which room is she in again, let's see





Have a seat, you can go in in a minute






She lies before you.  She carefully removes a piece of a much-handled piece of mauve paper from behind her back. She clears her throat.  She begins to read to you:


You might see me at the door, in the hall or on the floor,
lying about, sucking my thumb,
drinking tiny spoonful drinks of rum.
I'll be right in if I am out, to serve your whim's what I'm about:
for a dollar  I'll listen to your lies,
and  also your truths and your many-colored sighs.


Like Pirate Jenny I watch for the fleet
to swoop in some day:
to knock  you out,
to whisk me off my feet.


She carefully replaces the paper behind her pillow.












see you next time

No comments:

Post a Comment